5 morning routine ideas to start your day productively
Find out how to use your morning routine to plan a more productive day
Are you struggling to stay productive throughout the day? If you're looking to streamline your morning routine and start your day off on the right foot, then look no further.
In this blog post, we'll give you five tips on healthy habits that help you master the morning routine.
You might be hitting the snooze button a few times too many - but what else can you control to make your mornings more productive?
Keep reading to build a morning routine and learn about the best breakfast, how to activate your body with sport or stretches, the importance of clearing your mind with a list, and why you should take some time for yourself.
Stop with the snooze button
First things first—stop the snooze. Get up early and take control of your alarm clock. This may seem like an obvious one, but it's important to try and get up as early as possible so that you can start your day with the energy needed to be productive.
In a survey, 82% of people who reported using an alarm clock said they hit the snooze button at least once. What’s the problem?
Hitting snooze disrupts a natural process called sleep inertia, which refers to the drowsy feeling that hits you just after waking up. It’s known to disorientate you and impair performance and generally lasts from 15-60 minutes.
Hitting snooze is linked to building bad morning habits that train your brain to think “just a few minutes” instead of waking up, making the risk of prolonged sleep inertia much higher.
Fuel productivity with a healthy breakfast
Fight the feeling of inertia by fueling your body with a healthy breakfast.
Studies show that alertness spikes right after you have your morning oats, and eating a high-fiber, carb-rich meal will battle the sleepiness of inertia in the best way.
Breakfast helps to replenish bloody sugar levels to wake your brain and body up in the morning, and this productive morning routine is also linked to better memory and concentration, and improved overall health.
What is the most productive breakfast? According to Lisa De Fazio, a dietitian and healthy lifestyle expert, the best breakfasts include:
- Oatmeal: “Oatmeal is the ideal carb in the morning”, filling you up and keeping blood sugars steady.
- Breakfast sandwich: Go for something with protein like eggs, turkey, or tofu as the protein helps slow down the blood-sugar rise from bread.
- Smoothie: Blend up some oats or protein powder with fruit and low-sugar milk.
- Fruit and yogurt: Fruit provides some fiber and Greek yogurt will give you some morning protein.
List your goals for the day
Make a list of things you need to do. Before you start your day, take a few minutes to write down a list of things you need to do. This will help you stay focused and on track throughout the day.
David Allen is a famous productivity expert who suggests writing down tasks as an action. For example, instead of “finish work project” be more specific and try “finish the marketing analysis document and ask Anna for feedback”.
This helps to keep you accountable and focused on what you need to do. Here are some more tips for writing down your goals:
- Prioritize your tasks based on importance and urgency
- Break down goals into specific steps
- Make a plan of how you will allocate your time throughout the day
- Review your list at the end of the day
Use PDF software to create or improve your lists. PDF tools are perfect for saving you time and boosting your productivity - with creative ways to create, edit and annotate your lists.
There is also the iLovePDF Mobile App that lets you keep these lists on you all the time, without having to drag paper documents around with you.
Move your body to motivate your mind
Get up and get moving. The best morning routine will include some morning exercise - so wake your body up and get your blood flowing. Exercise releases endorphins, which are hormones that make you feel good.
When you feel good, you're more likely to be in a positive mood that to work productively. Exercise also helps clear your mind and can help improve focus and concentration.
Researchers found that ninety minutes of exercise a week led to a “significant increase” in memory - and that doing morning exercise is linked to an increase in response times and general cognitive function.
Whether it's a quick run, some light stretching, or a few minutes of yoga - getting your heart pumping is one of the best morning routine habits.
What are some morning exercises that you can do at home? If going out for a walk or run isn’t in your productive day plan, create a morning routine that revolves around easy at-home exercises such as:
- Jumping Jacks: Pumps your heart and tones up your calves and deltoids.
- Squats: Easy to do anywhere - they strengthen the legs, knees, and hips.
- Crunches: Work on your abs and core muscles without even needing to stand up.
Time for yourself is time for mental health
Make sure you take some time for yourself in the morning to relax and clear your head before starting your day.
Research has shown that some alone time is good for creativity, spirituality, and boosting your self-esteem. Actively working on your solitude can also be used to positively impact overall well-being.
A healthy morning routine that includes time for yourself can be something as simple as taking a few minutes to relax and enjoy your coffee. Whatever helps you relax and rejuvenate, make sure you make time for it in the morning.
Some of the most popular ways to take time for yourself in the morning include:
- Meditation: This can help you get centered and focused for the day ahead.
- Yoga: Yoga is a great way to limber up and start your day with some stretching.
- Jot in a journal: Writing things down can clear your mind and get your thoughts out to ease morning stress.
What works for you?
By following these 5 tips, you'll be well on your way to mastering your morning routine and making the most out of each and every day.
Be persistent and eventually these tips will become second nature, leaving you feeling more prepared and energized for whatever comes your way.
For more on productivity, head to the iLovePDF blog for advice on how to use free online tools designed to make you even more efficient with your time
Discover how PDF tools can make you even more productiveExplore now
بأمان في أيدينا
- بغض النظر عن الأداة التي تستخدمها، فإننا نستخدم التشفير التام من طرف إلى طرف لضمان أعلى حماية ضد سرقة أو اعتراض مستنداتك.
- يتم حذف أي مستند يتم تحميله على نظامنا تلقائيًا بعد ساعتين من وقت المعالجة لمنع أي وصول غير مصرح به لجهة خارجية.
- جميع خوادمنا محمية بموجب التشريعات الأوروبية، وهي واحدة من أكثر التشريعات تقييدًا في العالم.