How to add a signature to a PDF
e-Sign agreements quickly with this online tool
The handling of digital documents is gradually replacing hard copy paperwork in companies, schools, and organizations. However, even your digital documents sometimes need to be signed.
If you need to sign an agreement in Portable Document Format (PDF), the easiest way is using an e-sign tool. A trusted and easy e-sign tool allows you to place your signature on any PDF document or form online.
This post will show you how to create a signature and apply it to a PDF using the iLovePDF Sign tool.
What are the different ways to sign a PDF?
The iLovePDF Sign tool offers an intuitive signing experience for all your documents. There are 3 different ways to sign your PDF using the iLovePDF Sign tool. It offers the option to:
- Type your signature as text
- Draw your signature using your mouse or touchscreen
- Upload an image of your signature as a photograph or scan
Follow the steps below to create your own signature and then apply it to any PDF document using iLovePDF:
Step 1: Create your signature
- Navigate to iLovePDF’s Sign PDF tool.
- Select the PDF file that needs signing from your computer or Cloud storage.
- From the signing options, click on Only me.
- Fill in your name and initials.
- To create your signature, choose one of the signature options: Text, Draw, or Upload.
- After you have created your signature, click Apply.
Step 2: Sign a PDF document
- After you have created your signature and clicked Apply, your document will be opened in the PDF Reader.
- In the signature options to the right, choose your signature type: Simple or Digital Signature.
- Click on the Signature field to place your signature on the document.
- You can also add your initials, name, date, and extra text. Just click on the fields to drag and drop them into position on your document.
- Once you have completed your document, click on the red Sign button.
- Finally, click Download signed copy to save your signed PDF.
Simple versus Digital Signature: Which one should I choose?
The iLovePDF e-Sign tool offers the option to sign with a Simple electronic signature or a Digital Signature. While both types are legally recognized, one is more advanced than the other.
The Simple option allows you to sign PDF with a standard electronic signature. It's essentially just a digital version of your handwritten signature placed on a PDF. This type of signature is used for signing documents that don’t carry legal weight, for example, when a parent sends a consent form to a teacher.
If you need to sign an NDA or another important business document, it’s recommended that you sign with the Digital Signature type. The Digital Signature is more advanced because it contains an eIDAS certified timestamp seal.
Companies and individuals handling agreements in regulated industries can choose this option to strengthen the legal validity of the signed document. To learn more about the different signature types and their uses, read our post, Why sign with a Digital Signature?.
Ask someone to sign a PDF document
If you want another person to sign your agreement, you can send them a request to their email address using iLovePDF. First, you need to create an iLovePDF account. Once you have created your account and logged in, follow these steps:
- Go to the iLovePDF Sign PDF tool.
- Upload the PDF file that needs to be signed.
- From the signing options, click on Request Signatures.
- Fill in the details of your recipient.
- In Settings, check the boxes if you require extra features such as a Digital Signature or your Company Logo.
- In the PDF Reader, drag and drop the signature field into the document to indicate where your recipient needs to sign.
- Add any extra fields you need your recipient to fill such as their initials, name, date, or text.
- When you have finished, click on the red Send to sign button.
- You can track the progress of your agreement from your iLovePDF account.
Can I sign PDF files on my mobile device?
Yes, the iLovePDF Sign tool is mobile-enabled so that you can sign contracts and proposals on the go. iLovePDF also offers a more basic mobile app version of the eSign tool for iOS and Android smartphones.
Download the iLovePDF Mobile App to get standard PDF forms and documents signed with a tap.
Add your signature to a PDF onlineSign PDF
Selamat di tangan kami
- Tidak kira alatan apa yang anda gunakan, kami menggunakan penyulitan menyeluruh bagi memastikan perlindungan tahap tinggi bagi mengatasi kecurian atau pemintasan terhadap dokumen anda.
- Mana-mana dokumen yang dimuat naik ke sistem kami akan dipadam secara automatik selepas 2 jam untuk mengelakkan sebarang akses tanpa kebenaran oleh pihak ketiga.
- Semua server kami dilindungi di bawah perundangan Eropah, antara yang paling ketat di dunia.